Skip to main content

My experiences in teaching Ezhilarasan Venkatachalam

MY TEACHING EXPERIENCES 
in a village school 




ENGLISH TRAINING THROUGH   Tamil

(Written in 2005)

I would like to narrate my teaching experience to my daughters and school students in the last few years.

I taught my daughters English lesson in our mother tongue viz.,Tamil. I have two daughters aged 13 years and 9 years respectively who are studying in a matriculation school in Salem. Since LKG I had been spending my time on Sundays to teach all their subjects in our mother tongue viz. Tamil. Hence, now they are very fluent in English. It is unfortunate that in almost all matriculation schools the teachers are very reluctant to explain the lessons in the mother-tongue of the children.

Part 1

Ashamed to tell their father's occupation

Recently, I happen to work in a matriculation school in a village about 10 kms from Salem town. 

There the students were ashamed to even tell the occupation of their father. I was moved very much. I encouraged them telling that they should be very thankful to their parents for making them study in a comparative costly private matriculation school. I would make the child tell about his father's occupation in Tamil. Then I would tell the equivalent word in English. Likewise, I would write the occupations of all the fathers of the students in the black board in English and ask them to copy it.

When I was a kid, my father had told me that in Russia, for handling the students of the Primary classes they would appoint only teachers of the highest caliber, say like Ph.D holders. In developed countries the most qualified teacher teaches the lowest standards. It is very unfortunate that in India we do just the opposite. Hence, education
had become a "burden" rather than an uplifting tool to the students.

I want to make my sincere attempts to change this.

Part 2

Using computer to kindle interest in education
The Principal, Mr.Muthukumar of the village school I worked was a very nice gentleman. He gave me appropriate encouragement and gave me a very free hand in experimenting many things. Hence, I used to assemble the "dullest" students from standards 1 to 6 and conduct innovative computer based classes to them using Multi-media software like Encarta Encyclopaedia and kindle their interest in education.

My strategy : First "see" the picture of a lion. Then "hear" its roar. Then "write" the word "lion"

To elaborate on this, I will make a kid type a word like "LION" into the program. Within a few seconds we get pictures of "lion" in the screen. If I click on the picture we hear the roaring of a lion in the speaker. Then I would go to the black board and write "LION". Again, I would type "LION" in the paint program in big letters and fill it with attractive colours. Then, I ask the class to copy it
down. I am glad to say that soon the students felt mesmerized in my teaching methods and the project was a great success. No doubt the "dull" students developed interest in education very soon.

Part 3

Tape Recorder as a teaching tool

Another day, I took the tape recorder to the UKG class and asked the kids to call out their names loudly and recorded their voice in the Tape Recorder. Then I played it back. The kids jumped with joy on hearing their recorder voices from the tape recorder. I was elated to see the enjoyment in those young buds. The UKG class teacher was amused to know that with very little effort, using a tape recorder we can make the class very interesting for young children.

Part 4

"The frog class I took to the UKG kids"

Another day, I trapped a frog hardly half an inch in size from the school corridor. I took it to the UKG class. I allowed the small frog to jump all over me. All along I was talking in English many simple sentences about the frog. I also made the class repeat what I said. I was thrilled to see the kids jump with joy. However, letting out the frog alive out of the class room was a great challenge for me. This was the method I adopted to teach them "Spoken English".

Orientation to Teachers

Appreciating my dedication and devotion in making the learning process for the village kids fun filled and innovative, the Principal allowed me to orient the KG teachers so that they can follow such methods using the Tape Recorder, Computer in their regular teaching curriculum.

Part 5

Educational Programs in the Television

Another area on which I am researching is the T.V educational channels. I capture T.V programs in my web camera and then give a voice dubbing in Tamil. However, the quality is not up to the mark and I need good sponsors to explore in that area. There is no doubt that T.V can be used as an excellent educational tool in schools.

However, I think that we are yet to start exploiting that medium in India. I think very easily a teacher can play a video on a subject for 10 or 15 minutes and then interact with the students in many ways. He can ask the students to answer simple questions and explain in their own words what they saw.

Part 6

Recently, I read in "The Hindu" newspaper about the research done by Dr.Sugata Mitra, NIIT scientist. He advocates that kids can themselves learn about computers without any teaching at all. (Minimally Invasive Education).

I would humbly like to state that I had been doing something very similar with whatever existing infrastructure at my disposal. With a little support, I think I can contribute a lot in the field of education.

**** **** ****
(Written in 2005)

Ezhilarasan Venkatachalam
Global Tamil Based English Trainer
Salem, South India.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BIRD'S EYE VIEW of Ezhilarasan Venkatachalam's work 2019

BIRDS EYE VIEW OF EZHILARASAN VENKATACHALAM S WORK நல்வரவு - Welcome  நண்பரே, ஆங்கிலம் கற்க உதவும் மற்றும் நம் வாழ்க்கையை மேம்படுத்த உதவும் பல தகவல்கள் ஒரு  பறவை பார்வையில்.     English Training through Tamil Join Online English classes வா ட்ஸ் அப் (WhatsApp) மூலம் கட்டணம் செலுத்தி தனிப்பட்ட ஆங்கில பயிற்சி எடுத்துக் கொள்ளலாம். /   Friends, a good collection of VIDEOS AND TEXT for ENGLISH IMPROVEMENT and PERSONALITY IMPROVEMENT. A BIRD'S EYE VIEW  (2019)/3 (*) English through Tamil Movie Reviews /  சினிமா விமர்சனங்கள் வழி ஆங்கிலத்தை மேம்படுத்த  .   01 English through - 9 LESSON VIDEOS   _ English Training.. 9 videos 9 ஆங்கில வீடியோக்கள் .. Live class to 3rd standard kids   /  3 ~ஆம்  வகுப்பிற்கு ஜாலியாக ஆங்கில வகுப்பு    .. 02 ENGLISH through - Translations  ....English Training.. text 1    / மொழிபெயர்ப்பு வழியே ஆங்கிலம் கற்க . .... English Training.. text  2    / மென்திறன் மேம்பாடு பற்றிய கட்டுரைகள் (சாப்ட். ஸ்கில்ஸ்)  03 Personality Development / soft skills .. [VIDEOS

Online English training 2020 Venkatachalam Salem

ONLINE ENGLISH CLASSES through Tamil  [VOICE ONLY] தமிழ்  வழியே  ஆன்லைன் ஆங்கில பயிற்சியில் சேர  NEW ADMISSIONS TEXT ONLY FIRST -- WhatsApp TEXT to  995266 0402 10 July 2023, Onwards . One to One training -  Hundreds have benefited  -  Offline whatsapp grammar corrections also available  -  Unique friendly approach  -  Different styles for different types of people- AUDIO ONLY  சுருக்கமாக ...     எனக்கு முதலில் ரூபாய் xyz #   ( கீழே பார்க்கவும் )  பணம் அனுப்பி விட்டு ... ஒரு எளிய டெஸ்டை ஃபோன் வழியே எழுத வேண்டும்...    Entrance Test Charges Rs.250   [Advance payment]  --  [20 minutes approximately] ஒரு எளிய ஆன்லைன் நுழைவுத் தேர்விற்கு பிறகு தான்  கிளாஸ்    எடுக்கப்படும்.  [தேர்வு நேரம் சுமார் 20 நிமிடங்கள்]   நுழைவு  தேர்வு கட்டணம் ரூ.250 (€€)  [முன் பணம்] விரிவாக :    1) முதலில் என் பேங்க் அகௌண்டிற்கு / Gpay --  ONLINE ENTRANCE TEST FEES --  ரூ.XYZ (#)  பணம்  அனுப்பவும் (கீழே பார்க்க) -- 861080 2637 --  என்ற ஃபோனுக்கு--  Gpay -- மூலமும் பணம் அனுப்பலாம். 2) என்னிடம் இருந்து உங்

MOVIE REVIEW menu // English through Tamil Ezhilarasan

MOVIE REVIEW Translation MENU 2018 ENGLISH TRAINING THROUGH TAMIL MENU for MOVIE REVIEW LINKS 2018 ..  . Online English classes  . இளைஞர்களே,  தமிழ் சினிமா விமர்சனங்கள், சினிமா பாடல் மொழிபெயர்ப்பு முதலியவை வழியே  --  உங்கள்  ஆங்கிலத்தை பட்டை தீட்ட  --  இதோ மேலும்   ஒரு லிங்க் தொகுப்பு  எழிலரசன்   வெங்கடாசலம் =॥=॥  Friends,  A collection of my ENGLISH IMPROVEMENT aiding content relating to Tamil movies .   --   LINKS BELOW படம் .. தோழா   ** THOZHA ... Tamil movie impressions படம் .. அறம் .. விமர்சனம்   ** ARAM - Tamil movie review படம்..மொழி ** Mozhi ... a good Tamil movie ... my impressions படம்..மொழி ** Mozhi ... a good Tamil movie . translation படம்..காகா முட்டை .- விமர்சனம் **  KAKA MUTTAI  Movie Review (FULL EASY) படம்.. மாஹான் கணக்கு ** Maahan Kanakku  ... impressions படம்.. பசங்க 2 Pasanga 2.html   படம்.. கோலமாவு கோகிலா  - comments Kolamavu kokila - Review Like  சினிமா பாடல்கள் மொழிபெயர்ப்பு .. Tamil_Romantic cine songs Translation MENU 0910   . Vide