Skip to main content

Teaching ENGLISH with an OIL SOAKED NEWSPAPER Venkatachalam Salem

Teaching ENGLISH with an OIL SOAKED NEWSPAPER Venkatachalam Salem

While watching a part of ... Crazy Mohan's interview  I noted that he said many fantastic things in a very jovial way. I think this interview will inspire me to write many articles. This is the first one.
..

While chatting casually in it, he told that one can develop language even from a "scrap paper". This word "scrap paper" switched  ON a bulb in my brain and reminded me about a real life incident while teaching English. Nostalgia !!
=॥=॥=

Around 2008, I was taking English class to a batch of 4 or 5 youth aged about 20 year old. They were learning English with great interest and true dedication.

After about a month of my training with me, my students will come to know about my temperaments. About my punctuality, my style of frequently conducting classes with "timer running", giving short breaks after a stiff 20 minutes session, chatting with the students, as if I am a friend of them, forgetting my age difference, etc.

So for the first few days, I will be a strict disciplinarian. But once they fall in line with me, I will be very flexible, jovial and friendly.
-+-
One day a lad who had fully understood my temperament, approached me with an oil-soaked small piece of paper. It had some English matter printed in it. He hesitantly gave it to me. He knew I will not generally touch such oil-soaked paper, as it may stain my hand and also the course material. // The moment, I got it, he started talking, animatedly, 'Sir it had "THAT WORD" you taught us in "THAT LESSON" and "THIS WORD" that you also taught us in "THAT LESSON".

I decided to make him the focus for that day's class. I seriously started to listen with genuine interest as he talked. And in between asked him many questions to make him talk more and more regarding that. He never knew that, but went on and on for about five or ten minutes. // Finally, when he wound up, I said with a serious note in my voice, "Boys, from this you learn that even from an oil soaked dirty paper, you can learn English. So next time, you get hold of an old soaked paper with English matter printed on it, don't bother whether the vada or buggie fails on the ground and gets spoilt, but read the English printed in it.  

Please preserve the paper and bring it here and I will teach new English words from  that or you may alternatively take it home and learn a few new English words with the help of a dictionary.

Though it was an exaggerated message, I think I did an excellent job and inspired my boys that day. 

I demystified English learning to them by telling, English language learning is an art and genuine interest matters more than anything else. And that just cramming pages after pages without understanding anything or without involvement is of no use.

Thanks once again to the cinema comedy genius, CRAZY MOHAN, whose interview inspired me to write this.

Ezhilarasan Venkatachalam
Salem

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BIRD'S EYE VIEW of Ezhilarasan Venkatachalam's work 2019

BIRDS EYE VIEW OF EZHILARASAN VENKATACHALAM S WORK நல்வரவு - Welcome  நண்பரே, ஆங்கிலம் கற்க உதவும் மற்றும் நம் வாழ்க்கையை மேம்படுத்த உதவும் பல தகவல்கள் ஒரு  பறவை பார்வையில்.     English Training through Tamil Join Online English classes வா ட்ஸ் அப் (WhatsApp) மூலம் கட்டணம் செலுத்தி தனிப்பட்ட ஆங்கில பயிற்சி எடுத்துக் கொள்ளலாம். /   Friends, a good collection of VIDEOS AND TEXT for ENGLISH IMPROVEMENT and PERSONALITY IMPROVEMENT. A BIRD'S EYE VIEW  (2019)/3 (*) English through Tamil Movie Reviews /  சினிமா விமர்சனங்கள் வழி ஆங்கிலத்தை மேம்படுத்த  .   01 English through - 9 LESSON VIDEOS   _ English Training.. 9 videos 9 ஆங்கில வீடியோக்கள் .. Live class to 3rd standard kids   /  3 ~ஆம்  வகுப்பிற்கு ஜாலியாக ஆங்கில வகுப்பு    .. 02 ENGLISH through - Translations  ....English Training.. text 1    / மொழிபெயர்ப்பு வழியே ஆங்கிலம் கற்க . .... English Training.. text  2    / மென்திறன் மேம்பாடு பற்றிய கட்டுரைகள் (சாப்ட். ஸ்கில்ஸ்)  03 Personality Development / soft skills .. [VIDEOS

Online English training 2020 Venkatachalam Salem

ONLINE ENGLISH CLASSES through Tamil  [VOICE ONLY] தமிழ்  வழியே  ஆன்லைன் ஆங்கில பயிற்சியில் சேர  NEW ADMISSIONS TEXT ONLY FIRST -- WhatsApp TEXT to  995266 0402 10 July 2023, Onwards . One to One training -  Hundreds have benefited  -  Offline whatsapp grammar corrections also available  -  Unique friendly approach  -  Different styles for different types of people- AUDIO ONLY  சுருக்கமாக ...     எனக்கு முதலில் ரூபாய் xyz #   ( கீழே பார்க்கவும் )  பணம் அனுப்பி விட்டு ... ஒரு எளிய டெஸ்டை ஃபோன் வழியே எழுத வேண்டும்...    Entrance Test Charges Rs.250   [Advance payment]  --  [20 minutes approximately] ஒரு எளிய ஆன்லைன் நுழைவுத் தேர்விற்கு பிறகு தான்  கிளாஸ்    எடுக்கப்படும்.  [தேர்வு நேரம் சுமார் 20 நிமிடங்கள்]   நுழைவு  தேர்வு கட்டணம் ரூ.250 (€€)  [முன் பணம்] விரிவாக :    1) முதலில் என் பேங்க் அகௌண்டிற்கு / Gpay --  ONLINE ENTRANCE TEST FEES --  ரூ.XYZ (#)  பணம்  அனுப்பவும் (கீழே பார்க்க) -- 861080 2637 --  என்ற ஃபோனுக்கு--  Gpay -- மூலமும் பணம் அனுப்பலாம். 2) என்னிடம் இருந்து உங்

MOVIE REVIEW menu // English through Tamil Ezhilarasan

MOVIE REVIEW Translation MENU 2018 ENGLISH TRAINING THROUGH TAMIL MENU for MOVIE REVIEW LINKS 2018 ..  . Online English classes  . இளைஞர்களே,  தமிழ் சினிமா விமர்சனங்கள், சினிமா பாடல் மொழிபெயர்ப்பு முதலியவை வழியே  --  உங்கள்  ஆங்கிலத்தை பட்டை தீட்ட  --  இதோ மேலும்   ஒரு லிங்க் தொகுப்பு  எழிலரசன்   வெங்கடாசலம் =॥=॥  Friends,  A collection of my ENGLISH IMPROVEMENT aiding content relating to Tamil movies .   --   LINKS BELOW படம் .. தோழா   ** THOZHA ... Tamil movie impressions படம் .. அறம் .. விமர்சனம்   ** ARAM - Tamil movie review படம்..மொழி ** Mozhi ... a good Tamil movie ... my impressions படம்..மொழி ** Mozhi ... a good Tamil movie . translation படம்..காகா முட்டை .- விமர்சனம் **  KAKA MUTTAI  Movie Review (FULL EASY) படம்.. மாஹான் கணக்கு ** Maahan Kanakku  ... impressions படம்.. பசங்க 2 Pasanga 2.html   படம்.. கோலமாவு கோகிலா  - comments Kolamavu kokila - Review Like  - CHIYANGAL - சியான்கள் TAMIL MOVIE REVIEW  CHIYANGAL - TAMIL MOVIE REVIEW - Uthavikku va